My Kingdom for a Cup of Water


We’ve been having some power issues at the house for the last few weeks. There is something going on under ground that is causing a loss of connection of power to our house and a couple other buildings on site. I wrote a few weeks ago about the loss of power and then again last week. So, the electric company has been out this week doing some boring into the ground to get to the source of the problem. We’ve had intermittent losses of power through this process, but nothing too severe.

Until yesterday.

Yesterday about 9 in the morning, the boring went too far and they accidentally punctured the water main.  I wasn’t there for the show, but apparently there was quite a geyser of water shooting up into the air towards the back of the village. All I know is that we lost water pressure and eventually all water at the house yesterday. So that was a blessing.

I had big plans yesterday to do some deep cleaning around the house. Arden and I came back from vacation Friday night and hit the ground running with a really busy weekend and an equally busy couple days at the beginning of this week, so yesterday was really the first day I had to concentrate on cleaning – bathrooms, bedrooms, floors,  you get the picture – but then no water, so that makes cleaning a little bit of a challenge.

Instead of cleaning, Arden and I were thoroughly lazy – watching movies and TV and lounging around in our pjs – because you can’t take a shower with no water and I hate putting clean clothes on a dirty body. I have to admit that I wasn’t really paying attention to Weezer’s clues for when he wanted to go outside – I was lazy.

Our master bathroom is in no way finished in the whole re-painting saga, but I have purchased some nice chocolate brown rugs for the floor – they are soft and fuzzy and I like them a lot. I bet you can see where I’m going with this. About 3 in the afternoon, I walked into the bathroom to get some things out of the dryer and detected an odd order – but I didn’t really think too much of it because there was some dirty clothes on the floor that needed to be washed (part of my cleaning plan for the day ) that had been worn in the village all day and were not very fresh – so I just did what I needed to do in there and turned to walk out, stepping on the chocolate brown fuzzy rug with my bare feet.  OMG – it is really hard to see dog poop on a chocolate brown rug – and I stepped full foot in a huge nasty pile! THAT DOG!  It is a really good thing he is cute and loves me unconditionally and thus fills my adoration bucket – otherwise he would be looking for alternative lodging today.


It was so, so, SO gross – and, as you recall, NO WATER.  I had NO WATER with which to clean my poop infected foot.

So there I was hopping around on one foot, screeching and trying to figure out how to GET IT OFF – I then spotted some Dove make up wipes on the counter – in a pinch they take off poop as well as make up (just in case you need to know for future reference).  It took 4 of them to get it off and I still didn’t feel clean – Swiffer pads to the rescue! They cleaned up the floor and my foot to my less than delighted satisfaction. But now I was faced with what to do with the rug – because you can’t just throw it in the washing machine and wash it – NO WATER.  I didn’t want to put it in the garbage because I really like it and those things ain’t cheap.  Quite the dilemma! So, it is currently wrapped in two tied grocery bags sitting on the washing machine so I can wash it when I finally have water.  But you know – it may just go in the trash because 24 plus hours wrapped in plastic may render the thing unwashable – and I can’t deal with poop smelling stuff, it is just too much!

Last night I had worship rehearsal, so I went in early to shower at mom’s so at least those who were at rehearsal weren’t subjected to a un-showered April. And there was much rejoicing!!!

I am assured the water will be back on this morning, so I am going to place my faith in this prediction and keep a close eye on the DOG today.  As a really fun way to start our second water-less day – we were awaken at 6 a.m. with a scream coming from Arden’s bedroom.  She thought it would be fun to stand and dance in a wooden playpen thing we have for some of her league of stuffed animals – not the most brilliant plan on a hard wood floor as it slid one way and she went the other, causing her to fall and hit her head on the wall – so that was FUN!  She has a lovely knot on her noggin and we are learning again the proper use for our toys.

Our summer at home together is exactly 5 days old – not sure I’m cut out for all this excitement. Stay tuned.




Posted by

Mommy, Historian, Wannabe Writer.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s